The YWCA of the City of New York (YWCA NYC) is on a mission to eliminate racism, empower women and promote peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all. We are a social justice organization dedicated to addressing issues that emerge at the intersection of race, class and gender. Founded in 1858, the YWCA NYC is the first YW in the United States and part of an international movement of YWs worldwide. We currently serve 1,500 New York City school children by providing leadership and advocacy training for young women through our high school Girls Initiatives and Out-of-School Time (OST) programs for elementary and middle school students in diverse communities in Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Under the leadership of the Program Director and Assistant Director, the Activity Specialist creates and delivers high quality lessons and activities to elementary and/or middle school students. The Activity Specialist incorporates content and facilitation techniques that support the YWCA NYC’s mission to eliminate racism and empower women and girls.
A successful Activity Specialist will: bring a positive youth development lens to the role; demonstrate competencies in facilitation and engagement; manage administrative tasks in a timely and efficient manner; implement developmentally appropriate curricula in alignment with YWCA NYC’s program standards; communicate and collaborate effectively with colleagues; and demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism.
Furthermore, in the 2020-21 school year, we anticipate programs will start off as a blended learning model, with some in-person and some virtual activities. There is a high possibility of programs transitioning to a complete virtual model during the winter season. Therefore, Activity Specialists must be able and willing to work in a virtual program. This will include implementing student engagement strategies remotely; actively participating in virtual team meetings; and documenting all aspects of the program in shared systems.
- Develop and facilitate engaging enrichment classes and activities, utilizing both virtual and in-person facilitation
- Reinforce YWCA NYC philosophies within all instruction and programming
- Manage behavior effectively and create a positive learning environment
- Submit required program documentation
- Communicate effectively with supervisor, colleagues, parents, and school staff
- Attend and participate in staff meetings
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Since this position also incorporates eLearning, applicants are required to have their own computers, computer headsets and a stable Internet connection
- Use engaging technologies (third party or media) in appropriate and varied ways
- Computer skills: knowledge of telecommuting platforms, SharePoint and Microsoft Office suite products (Outlook, TEAMS, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Associate’s/Bachelor’s Degree preferred or commensurate experience
- 2+ years working in OST programs or other education/youth programs
- Effective classroom and project management skills
- Familiarity with various learning styles and instructional strategies
- Knowledge of anti-racism and gender equity principles and practices
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) a bonus
- Strong work ethic and professional values
- Commitment to promoting YWCA NYC’s social justice mission and educational and youth development philosophy
This is a part-time, non-exempt position with fluctuating hours of operation, hours may be anywhere from 2:00 – 7:00pm, with occasional evening and weekend hours required. Normal schedule will be a 3-4 hour workday, M-F. The Activity Specialist must be able to sit and stand for long stretches of time and use a computer and phone to communicate with staff, students, and partners. Reasonable accommodations will be made if needed for candidates who can fulfil the essential functions of the job. The salary rate is commensurate with credentials and experience.
The YWCA of the City of New York is an equal opportunity employer and contractor. We provide equal employment and contracting opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. The YWCA of New York City utilizes only job-related criteria in making decisions concerning applicants and employees. Moreover, we encourage applicants from historically underrepresented communities to apply.
To Apply: Please submit a resume and a cover letter that addresses your qualifications and ability to fulfill the responsibilities outlined above to Resume-HR@ywcanyc.org with “Activity Specialist” in the subject line.
Benefits we offer: eligibility requirement rules apply
- YWCA Retirement Plan
- 403(b) Plan
- Paid time off
- UNUM Voluntary insurance (Additional Life, Life AD&D, Dep. Life)