The YWCA of the City of New York (YW-NYC) is on a mission to eliminate racism, empower women and promote peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all. We are a multiracial women’s social justice organization dedicated to addressing issues that emerge at the intersection of race, class and gender. Founded in 1858, the YW-NYC is the first YW in the United States and part of an international movement of YWs worldwide. We currently serve 1,500 New York City school children by providing leadership and advocacy training for young women through our high school Girls Initiatives and Out-of-School Time (OST) programs for elementary and middle school students in culturally diverse communities in Manhattan and Brooklyn.
The Communications Associate is primarily responsible for the agency’s social media strategy and platforms, which include website maintenance and active participation on all our media channels – Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube and YWCA blogs. The position is also responsible for maintaining our institutional brand and producing printed collateral material.
Position will report to the Chief Development and Communications Officer
• Manage YW-NYC social media channels: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram with regular postings
• Manage and update website and connection to fundraising platform for Salute event
• Write content for website and e-blast campaigns in collaboration with Development Team
• Assist with promotion of Salute fundraiser in creation of the materials in conjunction with the Designer
• Assist with the planning and logistics of the Salute event in collaboration with the YW-NY staff and with the Board Development committee
• Assist after school and Girls Initiatives programs with any formatting of newsletters, flyers, etc. keeping the YW brand intact
• Distribute mass emails through Constant Contact including a Save the Date, newsletter, registration and promotion of remote event, holiday greetings, year-end appeal, etc.
• Assist CDO/CCO and Development Associate in promotion and outreach to potential donors and board members relating to Salute event and year-end giving includes emails, follow up calls, etc.
• Help with acknowledgements and tracking of donors in YW database
• Design and distribute e-newsletters and specialized email communications
• Special projects/ ad hoc requests as needed
• BA degree in Arts/ Communications, preferred
• 2-3 years social media and communications experience; familiarity with event planning, a plus
• Strong interpersonal skills, and an ability to work individually on a project or in a team environment
• Solid understanding of printing and design concepts with Adobe Creative Suite 3 (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat)
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Self-motivated, able to work well independently and take initiative
• Ability to work collaboratively with a multidisciplinary team
• Flexible, organized, and dependable, with excellent problem-solving skills
• Able to manage multiple competing priorities
• Proven ability to meet deadlines
• Commitment to the YW-NYC’s social justice mission
• Familiarity with youth education, a plus
Job Type: Temporary Full-time, Non-Exempt
Salary: $46,000.00 (Annum)
HQ Office Location:
50 Broadway, 22nd Floor
New York, New York 10004
Benefits we offer:
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- YWCA Retirement Plan
- 403(b) Plan
- Paid time off
- UNUM Voluntary insurance (Additional Life, Life AD&D, Dep. Life)
- FSA and employer funded HRA dollars to spend towards out of pocket health costs
Check us out: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | LinkedIn | YouTube
To apply, please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter that addresses your qualifications and ability to fulfill the responsibilities outlined above, to [email protected]. Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
The YWCA of the City of New York is an equal opportunity employer and contractor. We provide equal employment and contracting opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.